Blog description.

Accentuating the Liberal in Classical Liberal: Advocating Ascendency of the Individual & a Politick & Literature to Fight the Rise & Rise of the Tax Surveillance State. 'Illigitum non carborundum'.

Liberty and freedom are two proud words that have been executed from the political lexicon: they were frog marched and stood before a wall of blank minds, then forcibly blindfolded, and shot, with the whimpering staccato of ‘equality’ and ‘fairness’ resounding over and over. And not only did this atrocity go unreported by journalists in the mainstream media, they were in the firing squad.

The premise of this blog is simple: the Soviets thought they had equality, and welfare from cradle to grave, until the illusory free lunch of redistribution took its inevitable course, and cost them everything they had. First to go was their privacy, after that their freedom, then on being ground down to an equality of poverty only, for many of them their lives as they tried to escape a life behind the Iron Curtain. In the state-enforced common good, was found only slavery to the prison of each other's mind; instead of the caring state, they had imposed the surveillance state to keep them in line. So why are we accumulating a national debt to build the slave state again in the West? Where is the contrarian, uncomfortable literature to put the state experiment finally to rest?

Comments Policy: I'm not moderating comments, so keep it sane and go away with the spam. Government officials please read disclaimer at bottom of page.


Tuesday, May 21, 2013

State Housing – Is There Any Better Example of What Is Wrong With The Welfare State?



I’ve not kept up with National’s intentions for state housing: I’m finding tuning into the activities of government depressing and so am less inclined to do so, opting for nice stuff instead, like drinking wine. Although, of course, it is impossible, ultimately, to stick one’s head in the sand, because the state owns us, I know this when I look at our tax liability for the coming year that I’ve just calculated, on which Mrs H is furious, because it means the prudent curtailing of some of our plans; that is, a word increasingly unknown to the welfare state: restraint. Let me explain.

I realise that all current residents of state housing are to be assessed as to their fitting the requirements for state housing, and all the normal hubbaloo is sounding from those statists who have forgotten that a state house was never supposed to be for life: it was a step up, a temporary helping hand. So faint praise from me on this one. However, as with so much from this government, it appears to me there is a doublespeak involved. Just as Bill English’s constant references to spending constraints in reality mean not having to deal with what is really necessary, spending cuts, and hiding the fact that his every budget has increased the total government dollar spend, so do I see the lie of the state house occupier reassessment. The lie is in the fact the government is embarking on vastly increasing the stock of state houses: not just the number, but the size per house, to four and five bedroom houses; additional bedrooms being renovated onto existing state houses. Free men know that add bedrooms and build bigger state houses, then welfare will surely fill those bedrooms with babies, who in most cases I would hope have love – though certainly not guaranteed – but much less chances in life, than those born of love, affection, and prudence: welfare is doing what it does best – creating a permanent struggling underclass.

This insight into the doublespeak was gleaned by myself from a two minute clip on the TV 1 six o’clock news this last Thursday night, 16 May. It was discussing the need for bigger state houses, and the camera panned to the problem: a mum – a dad was not present or spoken of, but whether this was a solo mum, or not, is beside the point, which is unrestrained irresponsibility and stupidity – ... a mum, who to me looked younger than 20 years old, until the evidence of her five, yes five, children on the couch beside her, tucking into potato chips, led me to believe she must I guess/hope be in her mid-twenties; anyway, mum wasn’t so much explaining the need for a bigger state house due to the brood of five, but, sit tight – something mum should have done much more of – it wasn’t just the five children next to her, as she went onto say, rather the eight, EIGHT, children family she has, and an additional one on the way because mum was pregnant again. Apparently, despite she could not afford her own housing for the existing family of eight, she’d made the decision to have another. Honest; watch this nonsense, though make sure, first, you’ve nothing precious and breakable around you.

Although as bad as that is, and monumental stupidity on this scale is beyond my comprehension, it still was not the bit that really had me angry. On the arm of the chair mum was sitting on, was a Sky TV remote control. Now as regards that remote, here’s an interesting anecdote.

I had two clients last year post their Sky remotes back, because they couldn’t responsibly – big word that – afford their subscriptions. Both clients are self-employed, one in the trades, the other a rural contractor; one with two children, the other with one, and both pay tax; their problem being after paying tax they're struggling. These two families are paying tax so mum of eight – nine to be – can move to a bigger house with her Sky decoder, and she's the one on the telly complaining about her lot, that the politicians from all parties in our Parliament are pandering to.

There is nothing right about that. Nothing at all.

For myself, partly because I keep this site, and I’m rightly terrified of IRD, I prudently do my taxes conservatively, or as best I can with our mish mash mess of complicated tax law, hence Mrs H is not best pleased with our tax bills coming this year – (aside: I see the IRD tracking through my blog (see update 1) and so remind all officers to read my disclaimer at bottom, please, especially in this age when the IRD has broadened its reign of terror to advisors.) Although our problem is a little more complex than that: I’ve had about as much as I can take of social(alist) democracy – read funding mum of eight with ninth on the way - but have resigned myself to the fact this train we’re on to the state gulag is unstoppable, so I want to take more time out to look at the scenery on the way, and do my own ‘thang’. Thus, with only Mrs H and myself to look after any longer, and we can live pretty cheap - our biggest budget item is wine - I’ve been asking some of my bigger clients to leave so I can trade money for time - I've never been driven by money. The way our tax system works this means paying tax bills from higher income years, on smaller income, which is not a problem as we have it put aside, we plan, though is an inconvenience in that I have to look to estimating provisional tax. And within this context we have been spending just a tad too much, for reasons that are personal, and stuck with an earthquake damaged house in Christchurch not helpful, so, as I wrote at the start of this, we’re employing a little necessary restraint, so as not to have to use our long term savings.

And all that would be fine, or rather would have been, if it wasn’t for mum of eight – ninth coming - on Thursday night. Her complete seeming disregard for restraint is just rubbing my nose in how unjust this prison of state known as the welfare state, has become. I’ve said before, the problem is not welfare abuse: it’s welfare use which is, of course, the end of the free society, and the road to a cruel one. And a final note in passing, a personal one, if this is the caring society, then as one of those paying for it at the price of my privacy and right to be left alone, and mine and Mrs H's goals and aspirations, sorry, I ain’t feeling the love, and mum of eight – ninth coming – is feeling, and getting it far too much: has she heard of birth control? If the wine world hadn’t moved to screw tops, I could’ve sent her a cork.

Finally, just for those caring politicians who don’t understand our Western tradition of classical liberalism, no, the ANZAC’s didn’t die for this unrestrained, irresponsible, behaviour politicians use to bind the prudent to the yoke of them, either. Far from it - this is what war hero Charles Upham was fighting for.


-----------------------------------------------------------

Um, unrelated addendum: I don’t want to depress the workers too much more, but in case you hadn’t noticed, the government money printing presses have been working incessantly, world-wide, to ensure the next economic collapse is much deeper and more thorough than the last one starting – and still going – since August, 2008. The markets are going to collapse again – why, because the fix for that financial crisis implemented by the state planners, was simply much more of what caused it: (just quietly, another reason to hunker down and take stock) … [Lights fade to maniacal laughter).

With that, Mrs H and I are entering the last couple of weeks of our break, with friends descending on us tomorrow and staying for a while, so posting may be intermittent until we get back to Geraldine.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give you this. From someone who lives in a State House area. Half the tenancy's are filled with the most vile scum of the earth. Housing NZ seems to enjoy filling their state houses with brown terrorist's who go on to intimidate other decent folk in these areas so as to force the good ones out thus paving the way for the devaluation of the area. Well if state houses were given over to the Friendly Society's then dare I say many of the abusive wankers that currently have these houses would be forced into the gutter where they belong. Why should decent society support the criminal element? I am not saying all in state houses are crooked, however the trend is that of social allocation based on need not character. Thus whenever one of the elderly state house tenants dies, we worry over who will get the house. Clearly it wont be a person of good character because Housing NZ don't like such people. Instead it is almost always a slime bag tenant and almost always such people are either Pacific Islanders. I thought it was supposed to be Housing NZ , but it turns out its more like Housing Tonga such is the racial bias towards Islanders over anyone else. There are good people who are on welfare, some very nice people of good character who are struggling. Unfortunately they are outnumbered by the criminal anti social arseholes which Housing NZ and WINZ love to pander to. I say get rid of the Bureaucracy and bring in a system whereby you have to prove you are of good character so as to get housing assistance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      I'm a Libertarian so am colour blind, dealing with everyone as an individual; I couldn't care less about their race, or colour of their skin.

      I just want the state out of my life, not extorting me to finance its growth through an out of control welfare system that fosters dependence and irresponsibility.

      Delete